Glympse tracking allows friends, family or other riders see where you are as long as you are within a cellphone reception area.
Glympse is free and can be downloaded to your Android or Iphone from the Glympse website at www.Glympse.com.
You can also share your location wth the Adventure Riding NZ community by adding our Glympse group to your recipients list when you start Glympse running on your phone, or by pressing the ‘Join group’ button in the top right hand corner of the map below.
Everyone who has joined the Adventure Riding NZ Glympse group will appear on the map below if they have Glympse running while they are out riding.
This could be great if several riders are meeting somewhere, each rider will be able to see if anyone is late and how far they are away, or if you are on a ride and get separated from the group a quick look on the AdventureRidingNZ Glympse group would tell you where the group is and you can catch up to them again!
Riders stay on the map for 24 hours after their Glympse session finishes. As most of our riding is done during weekends the map will look pretty quiet Tuesday-Friday, and will get busy again on Saturday and Sunday.
The easiest way to join the !AdventureRidingNZ group is to set a few things up the first time you use Glympse, then every time after that it will be super easy.
These instructions are for Android users and assume you have already installed the Glympse app on your phone. I don’t have access to an Apple device to see if there are any differences for Iphones.
- Navigate to this page on your phone and wait till the Glympse !AdventureRidingNZ group map above has loaded.
- Click on the ‘Join Group’ button in the top right corner of the Glympse map.
- A new page will appear with 4 options, under the first one ‘Send Glympse to’ !AdventureRidingNZ will already be listed.
- Click on the 2nd option ‘Watch me for’ and when the new screen comes up swipe around the dial to pick a time duration for the tracking to operate. When you release the swipe the page will return to the main menu
- The 3rd and 4th options aren’t essential, use them or not as you wish
- Press ‘SAVE’ at the bottom of the screen
- Enter a name that makes sense e.g ‘AdventureRidingNZ’, tick the ‘Create Desktop’ box and press ‘Save’. This will save a Glympse Icon with the name you entered onto your Android home screen, next time you can just click the Glympse AdventureRidingNZ icon and Glympse will start up with everything set up and ready to go!
Membership of the !AdventureRidingNZ Glympse group only lasts as long as your current Glympse session is active, so you need to make sure the !AdventureRidingNZ group is specified each time you use Glympse. Setting things up this way at the start means you won’t have to worry about it again.